Overcast sky. Drizzle. Fog. None of these things make for a very motivating weekend. When I got up today, I knew I had to find something that would get me moving. I immediately hit the internet and began searching.
How do you get yourself through the winter slump and find a reason to run? Let’s be honest, the whole “Summer bodies are made in the winter” will only carry you so far when all you really want in the world is a Snuggie and muffin.
Here are my steps to finding winter exercise motivation.
- Pick a really great race. I searched for races that fit the timeline I was looking for and were located in cities I’d love to visit. I narrowed it down to something far south so I could be sure to hit that warm spring weather. Choosing a race in a spring break location lets me build a fitness goal around a vacation. More bang for your buck! So this April I’ll be chasing that sub two hour half marathon goal around the streets of Savannah Georgia!
- Enlist all your friends. After I chose the race, I sold it to all my friends. I called up running buddies and those that aspire to run. What better way to encourage someone to pursue their goals then by promising them you’ll suffer and celebrate together? I ended up with a great group of people to take on this adventure with me. You never know who might go all in with you if you don’t ask!
- Build in other fun. It doesn’t have to be all about the race. Savannah is a gorgeous city. My girlfriends and I will be running the Savannah Women’s Half Marathon, but our husbands will be coming along as support crew. Plan to take a couple extra days for the trip and you’ll have time to really bask in the glow of your accomplishments. Studies show that planning and anticipating a vacation has the same amount of stress reducing qualities as actually taking the vacation.
- Dig out your favorite gear. January is a great time to freshen up your running gear. Lots of stores are having sales and you may even have a little extra Christmas cash laying around. Take stock of what you have that is in good shape and make a note of what you might need to purchase to get you through your winter training. And while it’s all laid out for you to see, slip into your favorite running tights and go!
- Hit the road! There’s no better time to start than right now. You’ve spent all this time making plans and now you’re ready to put it into action. Get out there! If you still need a little help, Spotify has just added a great new feature. You can “Run the January Blues Away” by choosing the adaptable playlist. The app asks you to begin running and after it determines your beat per minute pace it matches you up with a playlist that will keep you steady.
What are your tips for winter motivation?
What city is THE city you’d love to run? Me? It’s Savannah- this is bucket list stuff right here!